July 30th, 2018
This is the definition of summer. This is exactly what summer tastes like… and childhood if I’m being honest. When we were children my father would snap off fresh rhubarb for me and my sister and give us two dipping bowls to choose from – salt or sugar. Of course, we chose the sugar bowl so we would sit in the grass, double dipping away :). Fast forward 25 years, and now we are super conscious of what we put in our tummies (our dad is still resisting but we’re working on it…)
So, all of that is to say that we are super fond of this pie. This is our first time converting it to Gluten-Free and it was a hit! Try it out and let me know what you think!
Pastry (Single Pie Crust):
- 1 cup gluten free flour (we love this one):
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 2 tbsp instant tapioca
- 2 tsp constarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 1/2 cups rhubarb in 1-in pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely sliced ripe strawberries
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brow sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup quick oats
Crumble Topping: (optional… but why??)
For the pastry:
- Combine flour, orange peel and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut butter until mixture looks like rolled oats.
- Sprinkle with water while pressing the ingredients to form dough.
- Shape into ball and flatten. Chill for 30 mins.
For the crumble:
- In a medium bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and oats. Mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix sugar, tapioca, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg and set aside
- Roll out the dough and place in a deep 10-in pie plate. Trim pastry and under and crimp with your fingers.
- Toss the rhubarb in sugar mixture, stir in orange juice and spoon mixture evenly into pie plate. Scatter berries over top and dot with butter.
- Sprinkle with crumble evenly over the top.
- Bake for 10mins at 450 deg then lower temp to 350 deg. Continue baking for 30-35 mins longer or until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Let cool on rack before serving.
For the filling and pie: