October 11th, 2017
· 1 tbsp #coconut oil
· 1 white #onion diced
· 6 cloves #garlic minced
· 1 small #zucchini diced
· 1 small summer #squash
· 1 small/medium #eggplant diced
· 1 cup bell #peppers diced (I used a mix of yellow red and orange because they were on sale and you don’t have to do that, one color works just fine)
· 2 #tomatoes diced
· ¾ cup #quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
· 1 cup extra firm #tofu diced (optional!)
· 1 and 1/2 cups #vegetable broth plus more as needed
· 1/2 tsp black pepper
· 1 tsp dried #oregano
· 1 tbsp tomato paste
· 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
· #Feta cheese for garnish (optional!)
1. In a deep skillet, warm the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion with a sprinkle of salt, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add the zucchini, eggplant, black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, another pinch of salt; stir; and cook for 60 seconds. Add the bell pepper and tomatoes with another pinch of salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the tomatoes start to release some liquid.
3. Add the quinoa and let it start to toast and marinate with the vegetables. You may see the quinoa start to jump up or bounce around in the bottom of the skillet, don’t worry, this is normal. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add vegetable broth and stir. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce it to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa is done. Add more liquid if you notice the liquid is low and/or the quinoa is sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Gently fold in the tofu (if you’re using it) and heat until warmed through.
6. Dish up the #ratatouille and top with feta (if you’re using it).