July 7th, 2018
Bacon & Summer Squash Quiche
I love summer. Love it. Everything about it. Even when it’s 95deg with 100% humidity, I’ll still take it every single time. The best fruit comes from summer – peaches, cherries, nectarines… love love love. But the veggies really are the star. So many vibrant varieties start to show up at the grocery stores and the farmers markets always show me something new that I just need to try. That’s pretty much what inspired dinner tonight. I bought all of these gorgeous summer squash and I really tried to think of the best way to showcase them. So, Bacon Summer Squash Quiche was created! Try it out for yourself and let me know how yours turns out.
You can make this a vegetarian dish by simply removing the bacon. And you can slim it down with a ham steak or turkey bacon, they’ll all work.
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 strips thick bacon
- 1 vidalia onion (or any other sweet onion), sliced thin
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 small summer squash, sliced thin
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook bacon in a saute pan. Remove bacon, but leave drippings in pan. Layer the cooked bacon on the bottom of the pie crust.
- Caramelize onions by sauteing in same pan you just cooked the bacon in, add salt and pepper to taste, mix often. Onions will be ready when they’re translucent and golden brown. Layer the caramelized onions on top of the bacon in the pie crust.
- Add your zucchini and squash to the pan, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper, and cook for approximately 5 minutes until it begins to turn soft. Remove from heat. Layer the veggies on top of the onions, making sure they’re all laying flat.
5. In a bowl, lightly beat water, eggs. and parmesan. Pour over the vegetables and crust, giggling the pie so the eggs settle into the bottom of the pie crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
6. Add the sliced tomato as the final layer, season once more.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until eggs are cooked throughout.
8. Remove from oven, allow to cool and enjoy!