November 24th, 2018
Keep your hands busy.. make this beanie!
- F hook (4.0mm) crochet hook
- 2 skeins of DK yarn: CLASSIC WOOL DK SUPERWASH YARN
22 stitches, 30 rows to 4″
With color A (I used dark grey): Ch 8.
Row 1: Hdc in 2nd ch from hook. Hdc 6. Turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, Hdc in same st. Hdc 5 in back loops only. Hdc in last st, through both loops.
Repeat row 2 until approx. 15″ long unstretched or 17″ long stretched with some give. Band should be very stretchy.
Sl st both ends together forming a band. Turn inside out, so the seam is on the inside, and the loop is on the top.
Hat: 1. Sc 92 around the top o the band. Achieve this count by approx. working 3 sc for every 2 rows of hdc and working an increase every 6 sts. Join with sl st.
Switch to Color B (I used light grey).
2. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in each st. Join with sl st. (92 sts)
3. Ch 1. Sc in same st. Sc in next st. Grab dark gray onto hook. Finish st with light gray (the stitch will look like a knit stitch). *Sc 3 with light grey, work a sc knit st* repeat all around the hat. Work one dark gray sc in last st. Join with sl st. (92 sts)
4. Ch 2. Dc in same st. Dc in each st around. Join with sl st. (92 sts).
5. Ch 1. Work a sc knit st with dark gray in same st. Sc 3 with light gray . *Work a sc knit st. Sc 3 with light grey* repeat all around the hat. Join with sl st st (92 sts)
6. – 17. Repeat rows 2-5 respectively.
18. Ch 2. (work with light grey only) Dc in same st. *Dc2tog. Dc* work all around the hat. Join with sl st.
19. Ch 2. Dc2tog 24 times. Join with sl st.
Tie off ends. Thread a length of yarn onto your darning needle. Turn your hat inside out and sew a running stitch, going in and out around the top. Pull the ends and cinch shut. Tie the ends in a firm knot.
Finish with a pom pom on top!