April 18th, 2020
#Saturday#mornings are for #baking! Today was all about #WholeWheat ???? and #Honey ????#Challah. Who else is on the #breadmaking #bandwagon these days? We all know there is a run on #flour and #yeast at the grocery stores so no wonder #quarantinebaking is a real hashtag these days! Try this #recipe, it’s an easy #egg #bread???? with a touch of sweetness.
- 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs + 1 for egg wash
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook, sprinkle yeast over barely warm milk. Beat in honey, melted butter, 2 eggs, and salt. Add the flour one cup at a time, beating after each addition. Beat until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. The dough will form a ball on its own to let you know when it is ready. Cover with a damp clean cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board. Divide into thirds and roll into long snake about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Pinch the ends of the three snakes together firmly and braid from middle. Cover with towel and let rise about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Beat the remaining egg and brush a generous amount over each braid.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 25-30 minutes. Bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom. Cool and enjoy!!