October 26th, 2017
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- green food coloring (can omit but wont be as fun!)
- Red jam (strawberry worked well for me) if you’re going for the severed bloody finger look
- In a bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond and vanilla extract; beat in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll dough into 1 tbsp balls then shape into a finger for each cookie.
- Press almond firmly into one end for the nail.
- Squeeze in center to create knuckle shape; using a paring knife or toothpick, make several places to form knuckle.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets or parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until pale golden.
- Let cool.
- If you want to go for the severed finger look, dip the back end of the finger in the jam and make sure it’s thick enough to pass for… well you know 🙂
- Makes approx 30 cookings when using a 1 tbsp scoop.